Thought Leadership from the desk of Udit Mittal.
In today’s digitally networked world, one cannot undermine the importance of your own Personal Brand. It goes without saying that career success comes from self packaging. And without a well managed personal brand, you will be missing out on the best opportunities out there.
What is a Personal Brand and Why are you a Brand? – A Personal Brand is what people speak about you when you are not in the room. It’s a Brand You world and you are the head marketer for the brand called ‘You’.
Survey states that 94% of hiring managers use social media for recruiting. LinkedIn, being the world’s largest professional network is the obvious choice to create and manage your brand and career.
Some branding basics to get you started:
– Have a good catchy headline that defines you to attract views.
– Get a good head shot/display picture. A smart-phone picture or a selfie will not do. Invest in a professional smart photograph.
– Summarize you career under the summary section as a quick view ready reckoner.
– Ensure you have updated all sections to have an all star profile. Also, customize your LinkedIn URL.
– Update the skills section and add maximum relevant skills so that you are accurately visible to recruiters and hiring managers.
– Endorsements and Recommendations – This is an important tool; do not hesitate to ask for endorse and recommend from your seniors, peers as well as juniors.
– Add links to your presentations, articles, website etc all.
– Follow industry trends and participate in groups/forums.
– Write and publish industry specific/thought leadership blogs.
Your brand is your reputation. It is what you are known for and how people experience you. Invest in ‘Brand You’ today.